    SubjectRe: [patch 2.6.19-rc6] fix hotplug for legacy platform drivers
    From
    On Dec 06, David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:

    > > Please explain in more details how hotplugging would be broken, possibly
    > > with examples.
    > First, for reference, I refer to hotplugging using the trivial ASH scripts
    > from [1], updated by removing no-longer-needed special cases for platform_bus
    > (that original logic didn't work sometimes) and pcmcia. See the (short)
    I.e. a quick hack which has never been used by any distribution.
    And anyway some kernel component is supposed to provide the aliases
    pointing from the $MODALIAS values to the drivers, so modprobe $MODALIAS
    would still work.

    > Those scripts have supported hotplug and coldplug on several embedded boards
    > for some time now.
    Can you mention some?

    > Second, note that you're asking me to construct a straw man for you and
    > then break it down, since nobody arguing with the $SUBJECT patch has ever
    > provided a complete counter-proposal (much less respond to the points
    > I've made about legacy driver bugginess -- which is suggestive).
    I am asking what is the point for a module to provide its own name in
    $MODALIAS. You say that not doing this would break your custom hotplug
    subsystem, but you still have not explained how this would happen since
    $MODALIAS is available only *after* the module has been loaded by
    something else.

    > And "udev" was from day one supposed to solve a different problem
    > than "loading modules". There was to be a clear and strong separation
    > of roles between hotplug (load modules, don't rely on sysfs, use other
    > components for the rest of device setup) and udev (make /dev nodes,
    > ok to rely on sysfs). That is, "udev" wouldn't do any loading.
    Who cares? It does now, and for many good reasons.

    --
    ciao,
    Marco