    SubjectRe: [RFC] timers, pointers to functions and type safety
    On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 11:21:09AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!

    > > > Lack of any type safety whatsoever, magic boilerplates in callback instances,
    > > > rules more complex than "your callback should take a pointer, don't cast
    > > > anything, it's just a way to arrange for a delayed call, nothing magical
    > > > needed"?
    > >
    > > I admit the compile check in SETUP_TIMER() is clever, but this way all the
    > > magic is in this place and is it really worth it? You're only adding _one_
    > > extra typecheck for mostly simple cases anyway.
    >
    > Well, there are so many of these simple changes, that SETUP_TIMER()
    > with its clever trick looks very useful.

    I agree with Al, Matthew and Pavel. The current timer stuff is a pita
    and needs fixing, and it seems Al has come up with a good way to do it
    without adding additional crap into every single user of timers.

    There *are* times when having the additional space for storing a pointer
    is cheaper (in terms of number of bytes) than code to calculate an offset,
    and those who have read the assembly code probably know this all too well.

    Al - I look forward to your changes.

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: