SubjectRe: 2.6.20-rc2: known unfixed regressions
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 01:14:13PM -0500, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
>
> > There's also http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/21/47; the included patch break
> > my nVidia devices and probably all PCIX devices, so it's not right, but
> > something has to be done to fix ATI. My guess is a quirk to say that
> > pci_intx doesn't work on certain devices and should just be skipped, but
> > I'm not sure if it's just in combination with MSI or not.
>
> This:
> - does not seem to be a regression and
> - missing MSI support is not such a big problem.
>
> Considering how many problems patches in this area tend to cause on
> different hardware, I'm even inclined to say that such patches should
> only be added during the 2 weeks merge window before -rc1.

(I was only talking about the first issue/patch as being a regression,
obviously, and forgot that there was more to the email I cited.)

Ah, okay. I somehow missed that all of the devices that were reported
to break with the MSI change in mainline doesn't support MSI in mainline.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this issue applied to audio on ATI
SB450 and later, which (I think) use the hda_intel driver, which supports
MSI (although I guess it's still defaulting to disabled). If this is true,
it would be a regression since 2.6.19.

The addition of a quirk to not use pci_intx with MSI on ATI PCI devices
should be safe (until 2.6.20-rc1, this was the usual kernel behavior), but
is clearly not critical if mainline doesn't use MSI with any such devices
anyway.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*

  Last update: 2006-12-29 21:21    [W:0.057 / U:0.492 seconds]