SubjectRe: Finding hardlinks
Benny Halevy wrote:

> It seems like the posix idea of unique <st_dev, st_ino> doesn't
> hold water for modern file systems and that creates real problems for
> backup apps which rely on that to detect hard links.

Why not? Granted, many of the filesystems in the Linux kernel don't enforce that
they have unique st_ino values, but I'm working on a set of patches to try and
fix that.

> Adding a vfs call to check for file equivalence seems like a good idea to me.
> A syscall exposing it to user mode apps can look like what you sketched above,
> and another variant of it can maybe take two paths and possibly a flags field
> (for e.g. don't follow symlinks).
>
> I'm cross-posting this also to nfsv4@ietf. NFS has exactly the same problem
> with <fsid, fileid> as fileid is 64 bit wide. Although the nfs client can
> determine that two filesystem objects are hard linked if they have the same
> filehandle but there are cases where two distinct filehandles can still refer to
> the same filesystem object. Letting the nfs client determine file equivalency
> based on filehandles will probably satisfy most users but if the exported
> fs supports the new call discussed above, exporting it over NFS makes a
> lot of sense to me... What do you guys think about adding such an operation
> to NFS?

This sounds like a bug to me. It seems like we should have a one to one
correspondence of filehandle -> inode. In what situations would this not be the
case?

-- Jeff

  Last update: 2006-12-28 14:27    [W:0.159 / U:0.672 seconds]