    SubjectRe: [patch 2.6.12-rc2] PNP: export pnp_bus_type
    Date
    On Wednesday 27 December 2006 2:30 pm, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 13:47 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
    > > The PNP framework doesn't export "pnp_bus_type", which is an unfortunate
    > > exception to the policy followed by pretty much every other bus. I noticed
    > > this when I had to find a device in order to provide its platform_data.
    >
    > can you please merge the export together with the driver?

    I'll send that stuff along; providing the platform data is actually
    an update to ACPI glue, not the driver, so the driver won't need to
    become needlessly coupled to ACPI. (Driver = rtc_cmos, I'll resend
    it in a few days.)

    > We already
    > have way too many unused exports, and the only sane way is to merge the
    > export with the user..... (and yes exports are not free, they take up
    > 100 to 150 bytes of kernel size for example)

    Hmm, then maybe it'd be worth updating that patch I just sent so that
    the only change is to switch #includes for the extern decl ... i.e. to
    "export" it only to other statically linked kernel code, rather than to
    modules. I'll do that.

    My own question about that EXPORT_SYMBOL was whether it instead be
    an EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL, but if either one costs bytes ... I'm happy to
    avoid that cost!

    - Dave

      Last update: 2006-12-28 01:01    [W:0.022 / U:88.776 seconds]