    SubjectRe: Open letter to Linux kernel developers (was Re: Binary Drivers)
    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:59:21 +0100, Erik Mouw said:
    > On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 01:16:15PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > > At least nVidia *does* actually Get It, they just don't have a choice in
    > > implementing it, because all their current hardware includes patents that
    > > they licensed from other companies (I believe some of the OpenGL stuff that
    > > originated at SGI and got bought by Microsoft is involved, but I have no
    > > hard references for actual patent numbers). And then they have the big
    > > problem - do they keep using the patent in order to boost performance,
    > > or no?
    >
    > Wasn't the whole idea about patents that you publish your invention?

    (Argh - I was too busy coming down with the flu to carefully read what I
    wrote, and as a result I was a tad less that totally specific and accurate.
    Hopefully I get it closer to right this time. ;)

    Patent licenses are also a good place to hang all sorts of side agreements on -
    and I'm pretty sure that the *actual* intellectual property involved is a
    witches' brew of patents, copyrights, and trade secrets, all wrapped up with a
    nice "thou shalt not disclose *any* of it" wrapper.

    In any case, there isn't much that *any* company can do to open-source
    something when they've got any sort of legally binding NDA attached to
    3rd-party intellectual property. At best, they can design an entirely
    new product that totally avoids the IP in question - but as I noted last
    time, the company *does* have to do a sanity check when 90% of the market
    doesn't care in the slightest.

      Last update: 2006-12-24 07:41    [W:0.020 / U:31.684 seconds]