    SubjectRe: Binary Drivers
    On 12/22/06, Wolfgang Draxinger <wdraxinger@darkstargames.de> wrote:
    > Am Freitag, 22. Dezember 2006 20:22 schrieb Rok Markovic:
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > Maybe this does not belong to this thread, but I am wondering why
    > > manufactorers doesn't want to release specifications about drivers....
    >
    > You're not alone, I think everybody who knows, how things in a
    > computer work shares this view.
    ---

    Two of the specific arguments I've heard are (a) that the board (and
    its hardware interfaces that the documentation would describe) involve
    IP licensed from a third party, which the board manufacturer does not
    have a legal right to disclose, or (b) that there is, in fact, no
    suitable documentation, because the boards are developed somewhat
    fluidly and the driver is developed directly from low-level knowledge
    that simply isn't written down in a form suitable for passing on.

    If you're building products with no expectation of supporting outside
    driver developers, both of those are quite possible.

    scott

      Last update: 2006-12-22 23:17    [W:0.023 / U:59.844 seconds]