SubjectRe: my handy-dandy, "coding style" script
Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>> I had a bunch of similar greps that I've recently been half-assedly
>>> putting together into a single script too.
>>> See http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/findbugs/
>> I don't know if anyone cares about them anymore, since I think gcc
>> grew some smarts in the area recently, but there are a lot of lines of
>> code matching "static int.*= *0;" and equivalents in the driver tree.
>
> I'd really like to see the C compiler being enhanced to detect
> "stupid casts", i.e. those, which when removed, do not change (a) the outcome
> (b) the compiler warnings/error output.

Bearing in mind that some casts may have been put in when struct members
had other values, may be needed on some hardware but not others, etc.
Cleanups are good, but may not be as obvious as they appear.

Not that there's a lack of places to remove visual cruft, but perhaps
someone could look at casts and ask if each hides a real type mismatch.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc