SubjectRe: GPL only modules
On Dec 19, 2006, "Horst H. von Brand" <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:

> Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mrao.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> This License acknowledges your rights of "fair use" or other
>> equivalent, as provided by copyright law.

>> By choosing 'acknowledges' as the verb, the licensee says explicitly
>> that fair-use rights are already yours, not that they are being given
>> to you.

> Pure noise, a license can't take them away in any case.

Yeah, that's merely informative, indeed. Point is to ensure people
know their rights, while at the same time avoiding giving impressions
such the one Linus somehow got.

> [That is my pet pevee with GPL: It has a bit of legally binding text, and
> lots of "explanation" and "philosophy" that don't add anything but
> confusion. A clear-cut license plus an explanation/comment would have been
> better. IMHO, IANAL. HAND.]

This bit would probably fit better in the spirit (preamble) than in
the letter. That's why I filed the comment about it in the preamble.

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/