SubjectRe: [patch 1/2] agpgart - allow user-populated memory types.
Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>> but if it's clearly the right thing.....
>>> How hard can it be? there are what.. 5 or 6 AGP drivers in the kernel?
>>>

>> Hmm,
>> but we would still waste a lot of memory compared to kmalloc,
>>

> surely it's at most 4Kb for the entire system?

Nope. These structures get allocated once per display memory buffer, and
a display memory buffer may be as large as
the AGP aperture size, (usually up to 512MB) or as small as one page.
The latter could be a user allocating a texture buffer for each
character in a font, and they can be quite numerous, so we would waste
almost 4Kb per buffer, which is not acceptable.

> (if agp allows the non-root user to pin a lot more than that in kernel
> memory there is a different problem of rlimits ;)

The drm memory manager sets aside and keeps track of a preset amount of
memory that can be pinned in the kernel for video use, which is shared
by all users running direct rendering clients. Currently this is a hard
limit, but the idea is to unlock memory and make it swappable if
resources become scarce. The memory we're discussing above is included
in the bookkeeping.

/Thomas

  Last update: 2006-12-19 18:15    [W:0.102 / U:0.088 seconds]