SubjectRe: 2.6.19 file content corruption on ext3

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Nick Piggin wrote:

> Counterexample? Well AFAIKS, the clearing of PG_dirty in ttfb() in
> response to finding all buffers clean is perfectly valid. What makes
> you think otherwise?

If the page really is clean, then why the heck cant' we just clean the
page table bits too?

Either it's clean or it isn't. If all the buffers being clean means that
the page is clean, then it's clean. WE SHOULD NOT THINK THAT PTE'S ARE ANY
DIFFERENT.

I really don't see your point. Is it clean? If it is, then clear the damn
dirty bits from the page tables too. Don't go pussyfooting around the
issue and confuse yourself and everybody but me by saying "but if it's
dirty in the page tables, it's magically dirty". NO.

It really is that simple. Is it clean or not?

If it's clean, you can remove ALL the dirty bits. Not just some.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.218 / U:1.752 seconds]