    SubjectRe: Linux disk performance.
    On 12/18/06, Erik Mouw <> wrote:

    > > But isn't O_DIRECT supposed to bypass buffering in Kernel?
    > It is.
    > > Doesn't it directly write to disk?
    > Yes, but it still uses an IO scheduler.

    Ok. but i also tried with noop to turnoff disk scheduling effects.
    There was still timing differences. Usually i get 3100 microseconds
    but upto 20000 microseconds at certain intervals. I am just using
    gettimeofday between two writes to read the timing.

    > In your first message you mentioned you were using an ancient 2.6.10
    > kernel. That kernel uses the anticipatory IO scheduler. Update to the
    > latest stable kernel ( at time of writing) and it will default
    > to the CFQ scheduler which has a smoother writeout, plus you can give
    > your process a different IO scheduling class and level (see
    > Documentation/block/ioprio.txt).

    Thanks... i will try with CFQ.

    Nick Piggin:
    > but
    > they look like they might be a (HZ quantised) delay coming from
    > block layer plugging.

    Sorry i didn´t understand what you mean.

    To minimise scheduling effects i tried giving it maximum priority.

    Manish Regmi

    UNIX without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth
    sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

      Last update: 2006-12-19 07:25    [W:0.020 / U:4.140 seconds]