    SubjectRe: Linux disk performance.
    On 12/18/06, Arjan van de Ven <> wrote:
    > if you want truely really smooth writes you'll have to work for it,
    > since "bumpy" writes tend to be better for performance so naturally the
    > kernel will favor those.
    > to get smooth writes you'll need to do a threaded setup where you do an
    > msync/fdatasync/sync_file_range on a frequent-but-regular interval from
    > a thread. Be aware that this is quite likely to give you lower maximum
    > performance than the batching behavior though.

    But isn't O_DIRECT supposed to bypass buffering in Kernel?
    Doesn't it directly write to disk?
    I tried to put fdatasync() at regular intervals but there was no
    visible effect.

    Manish Regmi

    UNIX without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth
    sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

      Last update: 2006-12-18 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:17.116 seconds]