    SubjectRe: [KORG] Re: lies about latest -mm kernel

    > The problem has been hashed over quite a bit recently, and I would be
    > curious what you would consider the real problem after you see the
    > situation.
    > The root cause boils down to with git, gitweb and the normal mirroring
    > on the frontend machines our basic working set no longer stays resident
    > in memory, which is forcing more and more to actively go to disk causing
    > a much higher I/O load. You have the added problem that one of the
    > frontend machines is getting hit harder than the other due to several
    > factors: various DNS servers not round robining, people explicitly
    > hitting [git|mirrors|www|etc]1 instead of 2 for whatever reason and
    > probably several other factors we aren't aware of. This has caused the
    > average load on that machine to hover around 150-200 and if for whatever
    > reason we have to take one of the machines down the load on the
    > remaining machine will skyrocket to 2000+.
    > Since it's apparent not everyone is aware of what we are doing, I'll
    > mention briefly some of the bigger points.
    > - We have contacted HP to see if we can get additional hardware, mind
    > you though this is a long term solution and will take time, but if our
    > request is approved it will double the number of machines
    > runs.

    Would you accept help from someone else than HP? is very
    important, and hardware is cheap these days... What are the
    requirements for machine to be interesting to I guess
    AMD/1GHz, 1GB ram, 100GB disk is not interesting to you....

    (cesky, pictures)

      Last update: 2006-12-17 13:35    [W:0.022 / U:7.648 seconds]