    SubjectRe: GPL only modules
    Linus Torvalds writes:

    > Why do people think that using "ln" is _any_ different from using
    > "mkisofs". Both create one file that contains multiple pieces. What's the
    > difference - really?

    The difference - really - at least for static linking - is that "ln"
    makes modifications to each piece to make them work together, and in
    the case of a library, makes a selection of the parts of the library
    as needed by the rest of the program. What ends up in the executable
    is not just a set of verbatim copies of the input files packed
    together, but rather a single program where the various parts have
    been modified so as to fit together and create a whole. Thus it seems
    quite reasonable to me to say that a statically linked binary is a
    derived work of all of the object files and libraries that were linked
    together to form it. IANAL, of course.

    Dynamic linking is different, of course, if only because the final
    runnable program is never distributed, but only formed in memory
    during execution. Also, the shared libraries are not modified and
    incorporated during linking.

    Paul.

      Last update: 2006-12-17 23:49    [W:0.019 / U:0.452 seconds]