    SubjectRe: [KORG] Re: kernel.org lies about latest -mm kernel
    The problem has been hashed over quite a bit recently, and I would be
    curious what you would consider the real problem after you see the
    situation.

    The root cause boils down to with git, gitweb and the normal mirroring
    on the frontend machines our basic working set no longer stays resident
    in memory, which is forcing more and more to actively go to disk causing
    a much higher I/O load. You have the added problem that one of the
    frontend machines is getting hit harder than the other due to several
    factors: various DNS servers not round robining, people explicitly
    hitting [git|mirrors|www|etc]1 instead of 2 for whatever reason and
    probably several other factors we aren't aware of. This has caused the
    average load on that machine to hover around 150-200 and if for whatever
    reason we have to take one of the machines down the load on the
    remaining machine will skyrocket to 2000+.

    Since it's apparent not everyone is aware of what we are doing, I'll
    mention briefly some of the bigger points.

    - We have contacted HP to see if we can get additional hardware, mind
    you though this is a long term solution and will take time, but if our
    request is approved it will double the number of machines kernel.org
    runs.

    - Gitweb is causing us no end of headache, there are (known to me
    anyway) two different things happening on that. I am looking at Jeff
    Garzik's suggested caching mechanism as a temporary stop-gap, with an
    eye more on doing a rather heavy re-write of gitweb itself to include
    semi-intelligent caching. I've already started in on the later - and I
    just about have the caching layer put in. But this is still at least a
    week out before we could even remotely consider deploying it.

    - We've cut back on the number of ftp and rsync users to the machines.
    Basically we are cutting back where we can in an attempt to keep the
    load from spiraling out of control, this helped a bit when we recently
    had to take one of the machines down and instead of loads spiking into
    the 2000+ range we peaked at about 500-600 I believe.

    So we know the problem is there, and we are working on it - we are
    getting e-mails about it if not daily than every other day or so. If
    there are suggestions we are willing to hear them - but the general
    feeling with the admins is that we are probably hitting the biggest
    problems already.

    - John 'Warthog9' Hawley
    Kernel.org Admin

    On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 10:02 -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 09:44:21 -0800
    > > Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com> wrote:

    > >> Still true (not listed) for 2.6.20-rc1-mm1 :(
    > >>
    > >> Could someone explain what the problem is and what it would
    > >> take to correct it?
    > >
    > > 2.6.20-rc1-mm1 still hasn't propagated out to the servers (it's been 36
    > > hours). Presumably the front page non-update is a consequence of that.
    >
    > Agreed on the latter part. Can someone address the real problem???

      Last update: 2006-12-16 21:07    [W:0.026 / U:30.752 seconds]