    SubjectRe: noexec=on doesn't work

    Eric Piel wrote:
    > 12/09/2006 09:03 PM, Kyle McMartin wrote/a écrit:
    >> On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 02:34:47PM -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
    >>> I have filed this as a distro bug with Ubuntu; it may be their issue, I
    >>> haven't dug deep enough to find out. I am posting this here to disperse
    >>> the information breadth-first instead of depth-first, which will shorten
    >>> the bug's life cycle if it turns out to be an upstream bug.
    >>>

    >> NX requires the 64-bit page table entries (ie, PAE) which requires
    >> CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G.
    >
    > Somehow there is a problem: a user can explicitly put "noexec=on" and it
    > will be silently ignored if the kernel doesn't have PAE support. I guess
    > that currently no message is written because "noexec=on" is the
    > _default_. Still, it would be fair to the user who added "noexec=on" on
    > its command line that if it is not respected, either because the
    > hardware doesn't support it or because the kernel doesn't support it, we
    > display a warning saying it's hopeless.

    Would have saved me and others a lot of trouble if this happened, yes; I
    wouldn't have written a test case and wtf'd at it for 5 days. :)

    > I'll send a patch if it seems meaningful to you,

    Telling may be better than letting the user think; then again any
    knowledgeable user should know based on his config (yes I know, by this
    logic I should have known about the HIGHMEM64G thing).

    > c u
    > Eric

    - --
    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
    -- Bosc, Evil alien overlord from the fifth dimension

      Last update: 2006-12-11 23:05    [W:0.027 / U:92.112 seconds]