    SubjectRe: [patch] pipe: Don't oops when pipe filesystem isn't mounted

    On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

    > Prevent oops when an app tries to create a pipe while pipefs
    > is not mounted.

    Have you actually seen this, or is this just from looking at code?

    Quite frankly, if "pipe_mnt" is ever NULL, we're dead for lots of other
    reasons.

    In fact, pipe_mnt can't be NULL. The way it is initialized is:

    pipe_mnt = kern_mount(&pipe_fs_type);

    and pipe_mnt doesn't even return NULL - it returns an error pointer, so if
    "kern_mount()" were to have failed, pipe_mnt will be some random invalid
    pointer that could only be tested with IS_ERR(), not by comparing against
    NULL.

    But more fundamentally - we might as well oops. We need to panic or oops
    or do _something_ bad at some point anyway, because it's MUCH better to
    fail spectacularly than it would be to just silently fail without a pipe.

    Hmm?

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.021 / U:91.900 seconds]