    SubjectRe: The VFS cache is not freed when there is not enough free memory to allocate
    On 12/1/06, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    > The pattern you are seeing here is probably due to the page allocator
    > always retrying process context allocations which are <= order 3 (64K
    > with 4K pages).
    >
    > You might be able to increase this limit a bit for your system, but it
    > could easily cause problems. Especially fragmentation on nommu systems
    > where the anonymous memory cannot be paged out.

    Thanks for your clue. I found increasing this limit could really help
    my test cases.
    When MemFree < 8M, and the test case request 1M * 8 times, the
    allocation can be sucessful after 81 times rebalance, :). So far I
    haven't found any issue.

    If I make a patch to move this parameter to be tunable in the proc
    filesystem on nommu case, is it acceptable?

    Thanks,
    -Aubrey

      Last update: 2006-12-01 11:03    [W:0.021 / U:0.584 seconds]