    SubjectRe: Strange write errors on FAT32 partition (maybe an FAT32 bug?!)
    Roger Heflin wrote:
    > Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Heflin wrote:
    >>
    >>> The mc part does pci parity, it is separate from the
    >>> chipset driver,
    >>>
    >> What? I thought the MC part does ECC and the pci part the parity stuff?
    >>

    > mc does pci parity all by itself, it is also the main module
    > holding the ecc stuff together, but you get no ecc without the
    > chipset/cpu specific module.
    >

    >>> I have even used the _mc part on a
    >>> Itanium with no chipset driver at all and had it report
    >>> parity errors properly, so I expect just the mc driver
    >>> to work.
    >>>
    >>> You would need the k8 module for the cpu, but that is
    >>> only if you want ECC checking also.
    >>>

    >> Where do I get this only when patching from CVS?
    >>

    > I don't know the status is of the k8 modules, some
    > distro kernels include it, I don't know if vanilla has
    > it yet.
    >
    > mcelog should also report ecc errors, but you would need
    > to be running the mcelog userspace program every so often
    > to realize that errors where happening.
    >

    >>> If you got the _mc loaded do a "sysctl -a | grep mc" and
    >>> see what things are set how, and reset if necessary
    >>> check_pci_parity to 1.
    >>>
    >> Well ok,.. module is loaded now:
    >> I've set check_pci_parity to 1 everything else is 0 in sysfs...
    >>

    >> # sysctl -a | grep mc
    >> error: "Operation not permitted" reading key "net.ipv6.route.flush"
    >> net.ipv6.neigh.eth1.mcast_solicit = 3
    >> net.ipv6.neigh.eth0.mcast_solicit = 3
    >> net.ipv6.neigh.lo.mcast_solicit = 3
    >> net.ipv6.neigh.default.mcast_solicit = 3
    >> net.ipv4.conf.ppp0.mc_forwarding = 0
    >> net.ipv4.conf.eth1.mc_forwarding = 0
    >> net.ipv4.conf.eth0.mc_forwarding = 0
    >> net.ipv4.conf.lo.mc_forwarding = 0
    >> net.ipv4.conf.default.mc_forwarding = 0
    >> net.ipv4.conf.all.mc_forwarding = 0
    >> net.ipv4.neigh.ppp0.mcast_solicit = 3
    >> net.ipv4.neigh.eth1.mcast_solicit = 3
    >> net.ipv4.neigh.eth0.mcast_solicit = 3
    >> net.ipv4.neigh.lo.mcast_solicit = 3
    >> net.ipv4.neigh.default.mcast_solicit = 3
    >> error: "Operation not permitted" reading key "net.ipv4.route.flush"
    >> error: "Invalid argument" reading key "fs.binfmt_misc.register"
    >>

    >> But this has nothing to do with edac, has it?
    >>
    >> And I've already had diff errors again,..
    >> so if there had been some parity issue it should have been logged, right?
    >>

    > The names and locations may have change, I am more
    > familiar with the older versions that had the sysctl stuff
    > in them, the new parts may not have the sysctl stuff,
    > but if you make the adjustment with the /sys filesystem,
    > that should work just fine.

    Ahh now I see:
    Parity Count:

    'pci_parity_count'

    This attribute file will display the number of parity errors that
    have been detected.

    but this is zero ...
    So would that mean that I don't have any parity errors?

    btw: I'm still always getting diff errors at different files...

    Chris.

    begin:vcard
    fn:Mitterer, Christoph Anton
    n:Mitterer;Christoph Anton
    email;internet:calestyo@scientia.net
    x-mozilla-html:TRUE
    version:2.1
    end:vcard

      Last update: 2006-11-09 23:27    [W:2.379 / U:0.012 seconds]