SubjectRe: Strange write errors on FAT32 partition (maybe an FAT32 bug?!)

Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Roger Heflin wrote:
>> Christoph,
>> Install then edac_mc module, and make sure through the
>> sysctl command that pci parity checking is enabled.
>> I have seen pci parity errors produce this sort of results,
>> ie make 100 identical 50MB files, and cksum them and one
>> will be wrong, do it a again, and the "wrong" one is now
>> right, but someone else is "wrong".
> Ah thx,... is it in the vanilla kernel?
> And do you know of any possible results that this issue has? When I just
> read data (see my original stuff with fat32) is it possible that this
> had been modified or damaged?
> Or are the only consequences that diff errors occur?
> And what is responsible for that parity errors? Is it possible that any
> hardware is damaged?

The failure can manifest itself in many ways, I have
only seen it as a read failure, but there should be no
reason why it cannot also show as a write failure.

It should be in the later vanilla kernels, it won't
be in the earlier ones, I would do a
find /lib/modules -name "*edac*" -ls

It is a hw issue, either something is running faster that
it should be (pci bus set to fast for the given hardware/config)
or something is broken.

  Last update: 2006-11-09 21:57    [W:0.063 / U:1.204 seconds]