SubjectRe: e1000 driver 2.6.18 - how to waste processor cycles
included netdev...

On 11/8/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@soleranetworks.com> wrote:

> Is there a good reason the skb refill routine in e1000_alloc_rx_buffers
> needs to go and touch and remap skb memory
> on already loaded descriptors/ This seems extremely wasteful of
> processor cycles when refilling the ring buffer.
>
> I note that the archtiecture has changed and is recycling buffers from
> the rx_irq routine and when the routine is called
> to refill the ring buffers, a lot of wasteful and needless calls for
> map_skb is occurring.

we have to unmap the descriptor (or at least do
pci_dma_sync_single_for_cpu / pci_dma_sync_single_for_device) because
the dma API says we can't be guaranteed the cacheable memory is
consistent until we do one of the afore mentioned pci dma ops.

we have to do *something* before we access it. Simplest path is to
unmap it and then recycle/map it.

If you can show that it is faster to use pci_dma_sync_single_for_cpu
and friends I'd be glad to take a patch.

Hope this helps,
Jesse

  Last update: 2006-11-09 02:05    [W:0.055 / U:0.672 seconds]