SubjectRe: How to interpret MCE messages?
also sprach Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> [2006.11.08.1729 +0100]:
> > memory/cache error 'data read mem transaction, data
> > transaction, level 2'
>
> L2 Cache

Gosh, I must be blind. Somehow there was too much information in
that dump. Thanks Alan!

> > Before I go out and buy a new motherboard (as I assume that it's
> > a L1/L2 cache problem),
>
> L1/L2 cache are on the CPU these days. Double check with the processor
> docs and vendor but I think mcelog is actually trying to tell you that
> the CPU wants to be warranty returned. It might also of course be a heat
> problem.

I am afraid the CPU might be out of warranty, but I'll try; I doubt
it's a heat problem since there are plenty fans and the machine's
interior is actually of quite agreeable temperature.

I'll check the CPU. Again, thanks.

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@madduck.net

if you find a spelling mistake in the above, you get to keep it.

  Last update: 2006-11-09 00:15    [W:0.066 / U:0.168 seconds]