    SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc1: Volanomark slowdown
    On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 17:29 +0100, Olaf Kirch wrote:

    > Is it proven that the number of ACKs actually cause bandwidth problems?
    > I found Volanomark to exercise the scheduler more than anything else,
    > so maybe the slowdown, while triggered by an increased number of ACKs,
    > is caused by something else entirely.

    The patch in question affects purely TCP and not the scheduler. I don't
    think the scheduler has anything to do with the slowdown seen after
    the patch is applied.

    The total number of messages being exchanged around the chatrooms in
    Volanomark remain unchanged. But ACKS increase by 3.5 times and
    segments received increase by 38% from netstat.

    ACK is comparable in size to the actual Volanomark messages as
    those are pretty small (<100 byte).

    So I think it is reasonable to conclude that the increase in TCP traffic
    reduce the bandwidth and throughput in Volanomark.

    However, Volanomark is just a benchmark to alert us to changes.
    If in real applications with small segment, this patch is
    needed to fix congestion window adjustment as Dave pointed
    out, and impact on bandwidth not as important, so be it.

    Tim

      Last update: 2006-11-08 20:31    [W:0.023 / U:31.424 seconds]