    SubjectRe: New laptop - problems with linux
    Arjan van de Ven wrote:

    >On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 09:41 -0500, Stephen Clark wrote:
    >

    >>Hi list,
    >>
    >>I just purchased a VBI-Asus S96F laptop Intel 945GM & ICH7, with a Core
    >>2 Duo T560,0 2gb pc5400 memory.
    >> From checking around it appeared all the
    >>hardware was well supported by linux - but I am having major problems.
    >>

    >>1. neither the wireless lan Intel pro 3945ABG or built in ethernet
    >>

    >you can get the driver for this from ipw3945.sf.net
    >

    >>RTL-8169C are detected and configured

    Could you propose any reason why it is not be configured? Can I force
    load a module to
    make it work. It is a real pain without a enet conniection, since I have
    to ferry stuff on thumbdrive

    >>2. the disk which is a 7200rpm Hitachi travelmate transfers data at 1.xx
    >>mb/sec
    >> according to hdparm. This same drive in my old laptop an HP n5430 with a
    >> 850 duron the rate was 12-14 mb/sec.
    >>

    >it seems you're using your sata disk in legacy IDE compatibility mode,
    >and not AHCI mode... usually there is a bios setting to switch this
    >(but be careful, if you switch it without adding the ahci driver to your
    >initrd your system won't boot)

    Actually this is a pata drive. This laptop provides a pata interface
    even though it has
    sata in the ICH7 chipset.

    --

    "They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
    deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

    decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

      Last update: 2006-11-08 16:15    [W:0.022 / U:268.176 seconds]