    SubjectRe: Faustian Pact between Novell and Microsoft
    Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

    >On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 09:54 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
    >

    >>Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 09:18 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    >>>[...]
    >>>>

    >[...]
    >

    >>>And the first point in the list is "patents" ....
    >>>

    >[...]
    >

    >>I can see the lights are coming on now for some folks now.
    >>

    >How many patenst does Novell have? Do they play in the "more than 1000
    >trivial, prior art and software patents" league like M$?
    >So from Novell's point of view it is probably somewhat a cross-licensing
    >deal.
    >"What does M$ really gain from it?" is the interesting question.
    >
    > Bernd

    The Pike patent from the USL acquisition is the one Microsoft most
    wanted to get their hands on, as well as the SMP
    patents. The Pike patent controls overlapping Windows. M$ has
    wanted to get clear of it for some time. With the
    cross license from Novell, they are home free. Novell has a large
    number of networking and directory patents.

    Not quite 1000, but they have some very good ones on SMP, clustering,
    and form the USL acquisition.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2006-11-07 23:27    [W:0.031 / U:30.512 seconds]