    SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc4: known unfixed regressions (v3)
    On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    | > | If your card doesn't pay attention to configuration space access cycles then
    | > | there should be no reason to write the value there. If your card does pay
    | > | attention to the configuration space access cycles it should be trivial to
    | > | make this work.
    | >
    | > The card does pay attention, and other programs such as lspci and the
    | > like also look at the config space. They should definitely be kept
    | > in sync, and config writes are fairly cheap, anyway.
    | Well this is a rathole so it really isn't safe for lspci to play with
    | (races with the kernel accessing it)

    Displaying something that might change is a fact of life, and no
    different than the PCI world. It's still best to keep things as
    correct as possible.

    | This hole concept of you having the register but not connecting it up on
    | the card is rather bizarre.

    The HT core we use made it extremely difficult, unfortunately. One of
    those things in hardware you sometimes just have to live with.

    | > The HT layer should always do the config updates, since you are trying
    | > to clean up that layer. Only the "extra" stuff (if any) should be done by
    | > the callback.
    | Fine by me. That's why the patch was up for review. That is just moving
    | the if statement I currently have. So it should be trivial. If that
    | won't break your card that is good enough for me.

    Dave Olson

      Last update: 2006-11-07 21:33    [W:0.024 / U:107.780 seconds]