    SubjectRe: PATCH? hrtimer_wakeup: fix a theoretical race wrt rt_mutex_slowlock()

    > Yes. On x86 (and x86-64) you'll never see this, because writes are always
    > seen in order regardless, and in addition, the spin_lock is actually
    > totally serializing anyway. On most other architectures, the spin_lock
    > will serialize all the writes too, but it's not guaranteed, so in theory
    > you're right. I suspect no actual architecture will do this, but hey,
    > when talking memory ordering, safe is a lot better than sorry.

    PowerPC doesn't serialize the writes on spin_lock, only on spin_unlock.

    (That is, previous writes can "leak" into the lock, but writes done
    before the unlock can't leak out of the spinlock).

    Now, I've just glanced at the thread, so I don't know if that's relevant
    to the problems you guys are talking about :-)

      Last update: 2006-11-06 10:01    [W:0.533 / U:7.940 seconds]