    SubjectRe: New filesystem for Linux
    James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

    > I have seen this too. I think that when IDE drive relocates the sector
    > due to hard errors, one would silently loose the information that was
    > stored in that sector.
    > How can one detect this? Of course it would be nice if the IDE drive
    > told us that sector X had just gone bad but I don't think they do. They
    > just silently relocate it because in some cases the sector has only gone
    > a "bit" bad, so the IDE drive relocates it before it totally fails.

    I've never seen this behaviour in a drive. All the drives I've seen mark bad sectors as "pending
    reallocation", they they return read errors on that sector unless they manage to jag a good read, in
    which case they then reallocate the sector. Or else they wait for you to write to the sector
    triggering a reallocation.

    There may be drives less well behaved out there, but I've not come across them.

    Brad