    SubjectRe: New filesystem for Linux
    Brad Campbell wrote:
    > I've never seen this behaviour in a drive. All the drives I've seen mark
    > bad sectors as "pending reallocation", they they return read errors on
    > that sector unless they manage to jag a good read, in which case they
    > then reallocate the sector. Or else they wait for you to write to the
    > sector triggering a reallocation.

    This is exactly what they are required to do by the relevant standards.
    The drive can not silently discard data and reallocate the sector. It
    either has to get a successful read of the old data, then reallocate, or
    wait for the host to write new data, and store that in the new location.

      Last update: 2006-11-06 03:51    [W:0.019 / U:59.164 seconds]