SubjectRe: New filesystem for Linux
Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> There was discussion about it here some times ago, and I think the
> result was that the IDE bus is reset prior to capacitors discharge and
> total loss of power and disk has enough time to finish a sector --- but
> if you have crap power supply (doesn't signal power loss), crap
> motherboard (doesn't reset bus) or crap disk (doesn't respond to reset),
> it can fail.
> BTW. reiserfs and xfs depend on this feature too. ext3 is the only one
> that doesn't.
> Mikulas

Yes, if your disk can not atomically commit a single sector, then it is
broken. And ALL filesystems rely on this behavior because they all
expect NOT to have hardware IO read failures of important metadata after
a power failure ( due to the sector ECC failing ).

  Last update: 2006-11-06 03:47    [W:0.099 / U:4.504 seconds]