    SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc <-> ThinkPads, summary
    On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > Hugh Dickins:
    > - ThinkPad T43p
    > - booting with "noapic nolapic" didn't make any difference
    > - reverting commit cf4c6a2f27f5db810b69dcb1da7f194489e8ff88
    > ("i386: Factor out common io apic routing entry access") didn't help
    > - question: Was your bisecting successful?

    Not quite what I'd call successful, but I think I've just about arrived
    at some kind of conclusion.

    Short summary: forget my complaint, assume it's fixed in current -git.

    Boring version:

    I think I have two slightly different, perhaps not unrelated, issues.
    One manifested in habitual usage, to and from work, suspending for quiet
    at home, etc, etc. As 2.6.19-rc progressed, I more and more often found
    it impossible to re-suspend after the first time: suspend key ignored.
    rc3 seemed worst, rc4 at first seemed okay, then not, perhaps because...

    In order to bisect on this, I had to speed up the testing from a day
    or two to a few minutes; and I'm now thinking that this may have
    focussed on a different problem. After several reset bisections
    converging on absurd patches (e.g. sparse annotations or unbuilt
    sources), I grew even more suspicious of my "good" cases, and
    yesterday found even 2.6.18 and 2.6.17 (didn't try earlier) behave
    like this: occasionally the suspend key gets ignored for about one
    minute (in the few cases I timed).

    So whatever I was bisecting on, it's not a regression in 2.6.19.
    It may be a software bug, it would be worth fixing if I can work
    it out (though the pleasure of bisection was not having to think,
    I've grown addicted); but it's not anything to hold up 2.6.19.

    And as far as habitual usage goes, experience so far with -gits
    post rc4 suggests that that problem has gone away: it's a little
    too early to tell for sure, but I've not had to go back to using
    2.6.18 to avoid it yet.

    Hugh

      Last update: 2006-11-04 14:55    [W:3.009 / U:0.168 seconds]