    SubjectRe: qstor driver -> irq 193: nobody cared
    On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 23:52 +0300, Sergey Vlasov wrote:
    > On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 02:22:07PM -0600, Alberto Alonso wrote:

    > > > Did you try this option? It may decrease performance, but in some cases
    > > > IRQ routing is so screwed that only irqpoll helps.
    > >
    > > I have now switched to using that option. Will kick in after I reboot.
    >
    > Actually, it might be better to wait with this - it is the last resort
    > option, if there is nothing else to try.

    I'll wait then. This is a file server with 6 active HD controllers and
    14 drives. For what I can figure out reading LKML irqpoll would really
    have a bad effect.

    > > 0000:00:0f.2 USB Controller: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    > > Subsystem: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller
    > > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
    > > Memory at fe9fe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    >
    > Can you try with ohci-hcd loaded (and without irqpoll)? USB
    > controllers might cause such problems, because BIOSen often do weird
    > things with them for legacy emulation; however, loading a proper
    > driver should make BIOS stop messing with the hardware behind the back
    > of the OS.
    >
    > After loading ohci-hcd look which IRQ does the USB controller use - if
    > it is the same IRQ as the qstor card, you should keep ohci-hcd loaded
    > to avoid problems. (If it is on some other IRQ, loading ohci-hcd
    > might still help - the code for enabling the PCI device calls ACPI
    > BIOS, which might change interrupt routing setup in the chipset.)

    I have now compiled and enabled the ohci-hcd module. It ended up
    in IRQ10

    > Also look for something like "USB Keyboard Support" and maybe "USB
    > Mouse Support" in BIOS setup - some BIOS versions have severe problems
    > with this emulation, so it may be better to disable it unless you
    > really need it.
    >
    > Disabling USB in the BIOS setup if you really don't need might be
    > another option.
    >
    > > 0000:01:05.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1010 Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev 01)
    > > Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 1040
    > > Flags: medium devsel
    > > I/O ports at 1000 [disabled] [size=256]
    > > Memory at <ignored> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
    > > Memory at <ignored> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
    > > Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
    > >
    > > 0000:01:05.1 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1010 Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev 01)
    > > Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 1040
    > > Flags: medium devsel
    > > I/O ports at 1400 [disabled] [size=256]
    > > Memory at <ignored> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
    > > Memory at <ignored> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
    > > Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
    >
    > These devices seem to be disabled, but if loading ohci-hcd does not
    > help, you can try to load the sym53c8xx driver and look whether it
    > ends up on the same IRQ as qstor.

    I will go in tonight and disable all USB and symbios SCSI controllers
    on the MB via the BIOS. I don't use SCSI disks on that server anymore,
    and I can get by without the USB ports.

    The really bad thing is that I can't reproduce it on purpose. Some times
    I've gone for 6 weeks without any problems. This morning got really bad,
    but it hasn't happened again since.

    Thanks for all your help,

    Alberto

    --