    SubjectRe: OOM killer firing on 2.6.18 and later during LTP runs
    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:00:45 -0500
    Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:

    > On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 01:28:28PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:03:45 -0800
    > > "Martin J. Bligh" <mbligh@mbligh.org> wrote:
    > >
    > > > On 2.6.18-rc7 and later during LTP:
    > > > http://test.kernel.org/abat/48393/debug/console.log
    > >
    > > The traces are a bit confusing, but I don't actually see anything wrong
    > > there. The machine has used up all swap, has used up all memory and has
    > > correctly gone and killed things. After that, there's free memory again.
    >
    > We covered this a month or two back. For RHEL5, we've ended up
    > reintroducing the oom killer prevention logic that we had up until
    > circa 2.6.10. It seemed that there exist circumstances where
    > given a little more time, some memory hogging apps will run to completion
    > allowing other allocators to succeed instead of being killed.

    I _think_ what you're describing here is a false-positive oom-killing? But
    Martin appears to be hitting a genuine oom.

    But it does appear that some changes are needed, because lots of things got
    oom-killed.

    I think. Maybe not - there's no timestamping in those logs and it is of
    course possible that we're seeing unrelated ooms which happened a long time
    apart.

    > For reference, here's the patch that Larry Woodman came up with
    > for RHEL5.

    gulp.

      Last update: 2006-11-26 08:17    [W:0.025 / U:0.600 seconds]