    SubjectRe: SATA Performance with Intel ICH6
    On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:10:11 +0100
    "Martin A. Fink" <fink@mpe.mpg.de> wrote:

    > Well this seems to be independend from the file system. I tried to write
    > directly to the raw device, but nevertheless the cpu time was 20% (sys time).

    sys time is not neccessarily CPU time.

    > This is an interessting point. The specification say that I can handle around
    > 120 to 150 MB/s each of the 4 S-ATA ports. With ICH6 the S-ATA ports seem to

    At once ?

    > be directly connected to the Southbridge, and the Southbridge is directly
    > connected to Northbridge via PCI Express. So it should be possible to get 150
    > MB/s from north to south and from there in packages of 55 MB/s to the
    > disks ?!

    Ask the vendor.

    > <6>scsi1 : ata_piix
    > <5> Vendor: ATA Model: WDC WD740GD-75FL Rev: 21.0
    > <5> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05

    The PIIX interface needs CPU intervention each command, so in practice
    about every 64K or so, and the CPU gets stalled waiting for the disk
    during the setup of each I/O. The newer kernels support AHCI which does
    not have this overhead, but it is only present on the newest intel
    controllers.

    > and strace dd... gives among other information
    > 6.84s 1004calls syscall: write
    >
    > So I spend 45s of 52s within the kernel. Why so long?

    Waiting for the disk I would imagine.

    Alan

      Last update: 2006-11-24 15:29    [W:0.054 / U:90.280 seconds]