SubjectRe: Re[2]: Where did find_bus() go in 2.6.18?
On 11/20/06, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml@gmail.com> wrote:

> [Uninteresting specific case]
>
> Ok, so the situation is following: we have a kind of multi-layered
> driver here. Lowest level is a w1_slave bus driver, talking to a
> specific chip and providing low-level API for accessing data in terms
> of this chip (or chip class) notions. Above it, we have higher-level
> driver which interprets data from the low-level one, converting it to
> a standard device-independent form, plus possibly does some other
> minor things, like providing feedback indication on these data.
> (Forgot to say that this is battery driver.)
>
> So, just in case if some reader of this has quick suggestion of
> merging these drivers into one, thanks, but they do different things,
> and we want to keep them nicely decoupled. But now issue of how these
> drivers talk between themselves raises, and that's exactly the grief
> point.

My suggestion would be do define a class for your device independent
data and have low-level driver create a class device (or just a device
if Greg has his way with driver core) and change your high-level
driver to become a class interface.

And then you won't have to rescan w1 bus every 5 seconds for that battery...

--
Dmitry