    > From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <>
    > Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:02:16 +1100
    > > This has caused me some trouble with of_platform devices, which are
    > > sort-of platform devices but linked to the Open Firmware device-tree, as
    > > I generate their names based on the nodes in the tree which need not be
    > > unique as long as they are unique under a given parent.
    > >
    > > I've worked around it, but I though the comment might need to be
    > > clarified.
    > BTW Ben, on sparc64 for of devices I use "%08x" and the PROM
    > node ID as the bus_id[] to deal with this.

    Yes, the phandle would have been a good option...

    Unfortunately, when we defined the simplified device-tree format for use
    by platforms without a real Open Firmware (embedded etc...), we made the
    phandle optional (the flat device-tree format that we defined doesn't
    have it, it's added as an optional property linux,phandle only when a
    node needs to be referenced by another one, like interrupt-map's
    etc...). Part of the reason there was to please embedded folks who
    scream at every single byte added anywhere :-)

    I suppose I can still decide that it's also mandatory for nodes that are
    to be used as of_platform_device's though... I need to discuss that with
    the embedded folks.

    (BTW. I still need to look into back-porting some of your changes to
    that stuff and possibly having some of that code moved to a common
    location... I hope I'll have some time for that early next year).

      Last update: 2006-11-21 07:25    [W:0.035 / U:6.988 seconds]