SubjectRe: [take24 0/6] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 01:15:16AM -0800, Andrew Morton (akpm@osdl.org) wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:51:59 +0300
> Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@2ka.mipt.ru> wrote:

> > > That would mean that in a multithreaded application (or multi-processes
> > > sharing the same MAP_SHARED ringbuffer), all threads/processes will be
> > > slowed down to wait for the slowest one.
> >
> > Not at all - all other threads can call kevent_get_events() with theirs
> > own place in the ring buffer, so while one of them is processing an
> > entry, others can fill next entries.
>
> eh? That's not a ringbuffer, and it sounds awfully complex.
>
> I don't know if this (new?) proposal resolves the
> events-gets-lost-due-to-thread-cancellation problem? Would need to see
> considerably more detail.

It does - event is copied into shared buffer, but place (or index in the
ring buffer) is selected by userspace (wrapper, glibc, anything).
It is simple and (from my point of view) elegant, but it will not be used -
I surrender and implement kenelspace ring buffer management right now, I
just said that it is possible to implement any kind of ring buffer in
userspace with old kevent_get_events() syscall only.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov