    SubjectRe: possible bug in ide-disk.c (2.6.18.2 but also older)
    From
    On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 05:28:12PM +0000, Alan wrote:
    > > Alternatively, a kernel-option to manually disable hpa-checking
    > > would be a good step to solve the problem even for drives like mine.
    > It's a compile time option. If you don't have GPT partitioning support
    > then the system ought to behave correctly.

    To me it now seems that my symptoms have twofold cause:
    -) misinterpretation of that drive's reported number of sectors.
    -) accessing the last reported sector in search for a GPT.

    If I turn off GPT, then perhaps the last (non-existent-but-
    believed-by-the-kernel-to-exist) sector is likely never ever
    accessed, and therefore the dma-switching-off doesn't happen.
    (Well, at least not at boot time, but still, if anyone did
    "dd if=/dev/hda ..." without limiting count=...)

    Otoh, patching out this "addr++;" leads to the GPT-test to
    access a valid (in HD's view) sector which contains (who knows,
    I even might have a GPT without being aware) or doesn't contain
    a GPT, but anyway everthing works.

    This does make sense to me.
    Please let me know if this makes no sense
    to anyone really knowing ide-stuff.

    PS: If it weren't that the failure to access that last sector
    caused dma to be turned off, I'd never have noticed anything
    special.

      Last update: 2006-11-20 19:01    [W:0.020 / U:0.876 seconds]