    SubjectRe: New filesystem for Linux
    Grzegorz Kulewski a écrit :
    > Hi,
    > On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
    >> As my PhD thesis, I am designing and writing a filesystem, and it's
    >> now in a state that it can be released. You can download it from
    > "Disk that can atomically write one sector (512 bytes) so that the sector
    > contains either old or new content in case of crash."
    > Well, maybe I am completly wrong but as far as I understand no disk
    > currently will provide such requirement. Disks can have (after halted
    > write):
    > - old data,
    > - new data,
    > - nothing (unreadable sector - result of not full write and disk
    > internal checksum failute for that sector, happens especially often if
    > you have frequent power outages).

    I believe some vendors have such devices. Mikulas called them 'disk', but it's
    in fact a (disk(s), controler, ram, battery)

    Some controlers are even able to write into flash memory the un-written data
    when/if the battery/power is about to fail. When power goes up, controler can
    finaly do the writes on disks.

    > And possibly some broken drives may also return you something that they
    > think is good data but really is not (shouldn't happen since both disks
    > and cables should be protected by checksums, but hey... you can never be
    > absolutely sure especially on very big storages).
    > So... isn't this making your filesystem a little flawed in design?

    Well... even RAM can fail :) In this case isnt linux flawed in design ?

      Last update: 2006-11-03 00:15    [W:0.041 / U:2.720 seconds]