    SubjectRe: New filesystem for Linux
    Hi,

    On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
    > As my PhD thesis, I am designing and writing a filesystem, and it's now in a
    > state that it can be released. You can download it from
    > http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/spadfs/

    "Disk that can atomically write one sector (512 bytes) so that the sector
    contains either old or new content in case of crash."

    Well, maybe I am completly wrong but as far as I understand no disk
    currently will provide such requirement. Disks can have (after halted
    write):
    - old data,
    - new data,
    - nothing (unreadable sector - result of not full write and disk internal
    checksum failute for that sector, happens especially often if you have
    frequent power outages).

    And possibly some broken drives may also return you something that they
    think is good data but really is not (shouldn't happen since both disks
    and cables should be protected by checksums, but hey... you can never be
    absolutely sure especially on very big storages).

    So... isn't this making your filesystem a little flawed in design?

    Thanks,

    Grzegorz Kulewski

      Last update: 2006-11-02 23:57    [W:2.033 / U:0.016 seconds]