SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] kvm howto
Magnus Damm wrote:
>> You need a newer binutils. I'm using binutils- (gotta love
>> that version number), shipped with Fedora Core 5.
> The VT-extensions added by Intel and AMD only adds a limited number of
> instructions each. If you want to be user friendly it might be a good
> idea to implement these instructions as macros. I'm pretty sure
> VT-extension support in Xen works with my old binutils version.

Yes, Xen uses macros.

I figured a newish machine will have a newish binutils. Looks like I
was wrong. I don't like uglifying the code, but if many users hit this,
there won't be much of a choice.

[A minor problem with macros is that you can't let gcc choose the
registers for you with instructions that have operands]