SubjectRe: fc6 kernel 2.6.18-1.2798 breaks acpi on HP laptop n5430
Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 22:03 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 08:08:31PM -0500, Stephen Clark wrote:
>>
>> > booting without lapic allowed it to boot but now I get
>> > Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- you can enable it with "lapic"
>> > Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
>> > which means more processor overhead - right?
>> >
>> > also cpuspeed doesn't work anymore - I don't have a cpufreq dir
>>
>>The Duron had powernow ?
>>

>This story of trying enable lapic when BIOS don't, has been triggered on
>kernel2.6.18, but in my opinion is not a bug if lapic on those computers
>don't work.
>
>If you boot without enable lapic, you will see cat /proc/interrupts with
>interrupts in XT-PIC.
>if you try enable lapic, somehow IRQ routing should change
>and if /proc/interrupts still the same, with IRQs in XT-PIC.
>I think, lapic still not enabled and the most you can get it's problems.
>Unless you know that lapic works (it is programmed and BIOS wrongly
>disable it), you shouldn't try enable lapic because it is probable that
>just give problems, to you.
>Historically: In 2002/3 was a very common bug, when kernel was compiled
>to support lapic and try enable lapic (even when BIOS don't) and
>computer hangs on boot.

is a mobile duron.

Booting with lapic worked fine on fc5 kernel-2.6.18-2200 but it causes
fc6 kernel-2.6.18-2798
to hang.

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

  Last update: 2006-11-02 15:43    [W:0.057 / U:1.096 seconds]