SubjectRe: ACPI output/lcd/auxdisplay mess
On 11/15/06, James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org> wrote:

> > Well, we were aware of video/backlight/* (read below). Anyway,
> > auxdisplay doesn't create a class; it did in first versions, but right
> > now it behaves just like a framebuffer, no classes in the playground
> > (maybe you read a old version?).
> > However, auxdisplay means "auxiliary display device drivers", not _the
> > display_. In such folder we can put every
> > auxiliar-optional-secundary-rare display (not just LCDs, framebuffers,
> > ...) who has special requirements (like parport wiring, fixed refresh
> > rate, different properties...). Also, things like "set_contrast",
> > "max_constrast", "set_power"... didn't seem very appropriate.
>
> Is it a framebuffer device ? The framebuffer layer is abstracted to work
> with such devices.

cfag12864bcfb is a "fbdev" (actually, it is a "fb wrapper" for
cfag12864b, so it behaves like a framebuffer, although it is not an
usual framebuffer. f.e. it has asynchronous refresh rate, a mmaped
page to appear to be a fb...).

Still, it is not the front panel lcd of any specific device like PDA,
so people that expects only their primary video/ displays may be
confused if it appears at such section. So we decided to go away from
video/. Maybe we can change the description, as right now it only
refers to front panel lcds.

--
Miguel Ojeda
http://maxextreme.googlepages.com/index.htm