SubjectRe: A proposal; making 2.6.20 a bugfix only version.
On 10/11/06, Horst H. von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > but if you do this you just end up with a bigger backlog so that the
> > > next one will even be more unstable due to a extreme high change rate.
>
> > Only if people continue to work on new stuff during the "bug fixing only"
> > cycle. If we manage to get everyone focused on bug fixing only for the
> > entire cycle the backlog won't be growing (much).
>
> Sorry, won't work. People working on shiny new toys will just put off
> sending in their patches for a cycle, and the usual bugfixers will likewise
> just go on doing their stuff.

> > > most are mostly false. And the rest is getting looked at. What's the
> > > problem?
>
> > Yes, MANY are false, and I know the rest are getting worked at, I work on
> > some myself when time permits. I mentioned it simply as an indicator
> > (one amongst many) that we have a lot of known unfixed issues.
>
> OK, lead by example: Do put off new work and work just on fixing things for
> a while. Collect bug reports and make them useful for would-be-fixers. Etc.

I try. Unfortunately I don't have nearly as much time as I would like,
to work on the kernel, but when I do have time I try to fix bugs. If
you look through the mailing list archives you will see that I try to
fix bugs/buglets most of the time and I find these by combing through
the coverity database, bugzilla, the mailing list, logs of test builds
of new kernels etc etc...
I don't maintain lists of unfixed bugs. I would love to do so, but I
lack the time to do it properly.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>