SubjectRe: [RFC] Pushing device/driver binding decisions to userspace
On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 17:16 -0500, Jim Crilly wrote:
> On 11/13/06 09:18:59PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately it becomes political quickly. For example the old OSS
> > > i810_audio driver is still in the kernel even though the ALSA driver
> > > supports more hardware and provides more functionality because some
> > > people consider the ALSA driver bloated.
> >
> > I doubt distros ship both though.... I thought all distros were
> > alsa-only by now..
> >
> I know that Debian ships both because I have to switch back to the OSS
> driver whenever I want to play one of those closed source games that mmap
> /dev/dsp because the ALSA OSS emulation can't seem to handle having the
> device opened via ALSA and /dev/dsp at the same time and the aoss wrapper
> doesn't work for apps that use mmap on /dev/dsp.

and this is why shipping 2 drivers suck.
"A has a bug so I need to use B" is the wrong answer, at least long
term. The real answer is "fix A".
I know it sucks for you, but if shipping B means A doesn't get fixed, or
worse, bugs in A hardly get reported... it means the short term is
hurting the long term, and just prolongs the pain even for you...
(since switching drivers is a pain, and more and more stuff is depending
on alsa nowadays)

if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at)
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via