    SubjectRe: [RFC] Pushing device/driver binding decisions to userspace
    On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 17:16 -0500, Jim Crilly wrote:
    > On 11/13/06 09:18:59PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Unfortunately it becomes political quickly. For example the old OSS
    > > > i810_audio driver is still in the kernel even though the ALSA driver
    > > > supports more hardware and provides more functionality because some
    > > > people consider the ALSA driver bloated.
    > >
    > > I doubt distros ship both though.... I thought all distros were
    > > alsa-only by now..
    > >

    > I know that Debian ships both because I have to switch back to the OSS
    > driver whenever I want to play one of those closed source games that mmap
    > /dev/dsp because the ALSA OSS emulation can't seem to handle having the
    > device opened via ALSA and /dev/dsp at the same time and the aoss wrapper
    > doesn't work for apps that use mmap on /dev/dsp.

    and this is why shipping 2 drivers suck.
    "A has a bug so I need to use B" is the wrong answer, at least long
    term. The real answer is "fix A".
    I know it sucks for you, but if shipping B means A doesn't get fixed, or
    worse, bugs in A hardly get reported... it means the short term is
    hurting the long term, and just prolongs the pain even for you...
    (since switching drivers is a pain, and more and more stuff is depending
    on alsa nowadays)

    --
    if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
    Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org