SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc5: grub is much slower resuming from suspend-to-disk than in 2.6.18
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 03:03:16PM -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:

> I have not checked if this is true, but it is a possible explanation:
>
> Perhaps the filesystem is not properly unmounted during a suspend? That

Of course not.

> would mean GRUB is reading from a incoherent filesystem on resume.

Exactly.

> GRUB's filesystem drivers are not very fancy. It could be it does
> something silly like check the journal before returning each block.

GRUB must not write to the fs, so it probably plays back the journal in
memory only and it does this for every file it reads (at least that's how
it feels :-)

> Maybe its a journal size thing, you could try "sync" before suspend and
> see if it helps.

We already sync inside the kernel, it does not help here, though.
Blockdev freezing might help.

> Another thing would be to create /boot as a separate partition.

Yes, that's what i always advise: /boot on separate ext2 partition. Then
GRUB resumes fast.
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"