    SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc5: grub is much slower resuming from suspend-to-disk than in 2.6.18
    On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 03:03:16PM -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:

    > I have not checked if this is true, but it is a possible explanation:
    >
    > Perhaps the filesystem is not properly unmounted during a suspend? That

    Of course not.

    > would mean GRUB is reading from a incoherent filesystem on resume.

    Exactly.

    > GRUB's filesystem drivers are not very fancy. It could be it does
    > something silly like check the journal before returning each block.

    GRUB must not write to the fs, so it probably plays back the journal in
    memory only and it does this for every file it reads (at least that's how
    it feels :-)

    > Maybe its a journal size thing, you could try "sync" before suspend and
    > see if it helps.

    We already sync inside the kernel, it does not help here, though.
    Blockdev freezing might help.

    > Another thing would be to create /boot as a separate partition.

    Yes, that's what i always advise: /boot on separate ext2 partition. Then
    GRUB resumes fast.
    --
    Stefan Seyfried
    QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"