    SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc5: grub is much slower resuming from suspend-to-disk than in 2.6.18

    On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 06:42:15AM +0300, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > On Sunday 12 November 2006 17:55, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > On Sun 12-11-06 14:36:41, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > > >
    > > > This is rather funny; in 2.6.19-rc5 grub is *really* slow loading kernel
    > > > when I switch on the system after suspend to disk. Actually, after kernel
    > > > has been loaded, the whole resuming (up to the point I have usable

    The most important question:
    What filesystem is your /boot on? I'd bet quite some money that it is reiser
    or some other journaling FS (not ext3).

    > > > desktop again) takes about three time less than the process of loading
    > > > kernel + initrd. During loading disk LED is constantly lit. This almost
    > > > looks like kernel leaves HDD in some strange state, although I always
    > > > assumed HDD/IDE is completely reinitialized in this case.
    > >
    > > Seems like broken hw, really. No state should survive machine
    > > poweroff.

    No. Broken FS / crappy GRUB.

    > To recap - this never happens upon simple power off; I do not remember this to

    I am pretty sure that it will also happen if you do "updatedb &", wait a
    minute and then do a _HARD_ power off.

    I am pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the kernel version, just with
    the layout of your /boot partition (which of course changes with every kernel
    update). In other words: until now, you just have been lucky.
    Stefan Seyfried
    QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
    SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nürnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out."

      Last update: 2006-11-13 09:21    [W:0.024 / U:0.232 seconds]