    SubjectREAD SCSI cmd seems to fail on SATA optical devices...
    Hello,

    I recently tried to burn some datas on CDs and DVD using a SATA burner
    and the latest 2.6.18.2 kernel... using NeroLINUX. (It is controlling
    the device by sending SCSI commands over the 'sg' driver)

    The burn process works like a charm, no problems at all. But it seems
    that there are some slight problems with the READ scsi cmd:
    Inside our software, we have a verification routine that will make a
    sector-by-sector verification to check that everything that has been
    written is OK.

    The problem is that, on SATA devices controlled by libata, on some big
    files (like for example a 600 MB file) the READ command seems to fail
    and outputs garbage (not 1 or 2 bytes diff, but the whole buffer).
    -> This problem does not come out everytime, and each time on
    different sectors.

    Please note that:
    - it is not chipset dependant (tested on nforce4 and sii3114)
    - it is not medium or device dependant

    I debugged a little bit and found out the following:

    - Our software tries to guess the bus type for each device by using
    INQUIRY SCSI cmds. For SATA devices, it always returns SCSI.
    (which according to the source code is normal -> libata-scsi.c:2396)

    - When I force the bus type to be IDE, our software will then send ATA
    commands. In this case, everything works like a charm. No errors at all.

    I tried to debug a little bit more inside the source code of the Linux
    kernel, but I must admit that I am really not so familiar with the
    code... but it would be no problem to help anyone on this issue. :)

    Best Regards,
    Mathieu

    Mathieu Fluhr
    Linux Software Engineer

    Nero AG
    Im Stoeckmaedle 18
    76307 Karlsbad
    Germany

    E-mail: mfluhr@nero.com

    NERO - BECAUSE TECHNOLOGY COUNTS
    www.nero.com

    This e-mail may contain confidential and/or
    privileged information. If you are not the intended
    recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
    please notify the sender immediately and destroy
    this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure
    or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
    strictly forbidden.