    SubjectRe: A proposal; making 2.6.20 a bugfix only version.
    Jesper Juhl <> wrote:
    > On 08/11/06, Arjan van de Ven <> wrote:
    > > > There's no shortage of issues that need fixing, but since we keep
    > > > merging new stuff, a lot of bugfixing energy gets spend on the new
    > > > cool stuff instead of fixing up any other issues we have.
    > >
    > > but if you do this you just end up with a bigger backlog so that the
    > > next one will even be more unstable due to a extreme high change rate.

    > Only if people continue to work on new stuff during the "bug fixing only"
    > cycle. If we manage to get everyone focused on bug fixing only for the
    > entire cycle the backlog won't be growing (much).

    Sorry, won't work. People working on shiny new toys will just put off
    sending in their patches for a cycle, and the usual bugfixers will likewise
    just go on doing their stuff.

    > > > Coverity has, as of this writing, identified 728 issues in the current
    > > > kernel. Sure, some of those have already been identified as false or
    > > > ignorable issues, but many are flagged as actual bugs and still more
    > > > are as yet uninspected.

    > > most are mostly false. And the rest is getting looked at. What's the
    > > problem?

    > Yes, MANY are false, and I know the rest are getting worked at, I work on
    > some myself when time permits. I mentioned it simply as an indicator
    > (one amongst many) that we have a lot of known unfixed issues.

    OK, lead by example: Do put off new work and work just on fixing things for
    a while. Collect bug reports and make them useful for would-be-fixers. Etc.
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616

      Last update: 2006-11-11 04:49    [W:0.022 / U:55.724 seconds]